Friday, June 3, 2011

Dealing with weather -- Lessons in patience.

Rain is a necessary component of growing good crops in Iowa.  But, rain is also my nemesis when it comes to planting.  Last week, the farm received more than 4 inches of rain.  And Whitebreast Creek ran bankfull and more.  Needless to say, the bottom fields that I still have to seed to grass this year were inundated and I sit paitently (or not so patiently, in reality) waiting for a stretch of dry weather so that the land will dry out enough to till and plant.  Yesterday, I went down to the farm hoping that the fields would be dry enough since the last rain was on Sunday.  Unfortunately, dry is not the adjective I would use to describe those fields. 

I put the pick-up in 4-wheel drive, and drove out across the bottomlands.  I stopped and walked out across the field.  My shoes were making imprints in the field -- that is not a good sign in untilled ground.  I got back into the pickup to check the east side of the field.  About 2/3 of the way across the field, I could tell I was beginning to spin the wheels of the truck a bit.  Discretion being the greater part of valor (and not wanting to get stuck in the mud with no one to help pull me out) I turned around - or at least tried to turn around.  As I did so, the truck started to spin more and I was hitting 50 on the speedometer, but going about 10 miles per hour.  I cut some pretty deep tracks getting out of there, but thankfully, I did not get stuck. 


About this time, it began to rain -- I was really hoping for some 90 degree weather and clear skies, but that was not to be.  Received about a quarter inch of rain.  so for now, more patience.

Do I dare get my hopes up?  The forecast is calling for some nice warm, dry days on Friday and Saturday, before another chance of showers, and then a 3 or 4 day streak of dry weather.  Maybe I can finish seeding the grass next week.  I sure hope so since I have other commitments the following week which will prevent me from doing any farm work for at least 10 days.

Despite all these challenges, there is good news.  The corn and soybeans that were planted in early May look very good.  As with most crops in Iowa, they could use some heat units -- it has been quite cool for most of May.  But hope springs eternal, and "If the creek don't rise"  -- but wait, that was the problem -- the creek did rise -- and now I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment